dear sweet freshman,
you made it. somehow you emerged out of middle school/jr high unscathed.
you’re still kind and loving. your life is drama free and your friends are real. they may not be the cool kids, they may not have a “name” for their clan of cronies, but what they are is true to you, to themselves and that is worth so much more than you will ever know.
i feel like i am sending you into the wild with the wolves. into the great outdoors after being held in a small wildlife preserve. even though i know they are really only bitches armed with too much eyeliner and draped in hollister and american eagle from head to toe. i still feel like i have abandoned you in the wild with only a pony tail holder and a jansport backpack, so i think i should share a few things with you.
- the boys. yes, some of them look like actual men, but they are still boys. stay away from them. all of them. ok, no really it’s human nature to love the quarterback,but guess what, the second string soccer player with the 4.5 gpa who wears sport goggles and maybe isn’t on the “a” list of cool kids, well he’s kind and he makes you feel so good about yourself. so yeah, it’s human nature to like him too. remind your heart to listen to your head sometimes. boys will come and go. some one them know all the right things to say and sometimes they have no idea what to say, so if you like one, let them know. don’t hold out hoping they will notice you.
- eyeliner. there is a right way to wear it, and a trashy way. when/if you ever want to wear it, let me know. i’d rather you wear it the right way. there is plenty of time in your 20’s to wear.. trashy.
- friends. if a friend stops hanging out with you to hang out with someone “cooler”let them. wave as they walk away, they were never really your friend to begin with. if you make a new friend who is… cooler.. invite your other friends to hang with you, if the new friend isn’t down, wave goodbye, she won’t ever be a real friend. always support your friends. go to their plays, soccer games, band performance.
- you.are.smart. yep. i said it. you are smart and guess what. that is ok. don’t hide it, don’t play it down. it’s awesome that you are smart.
- you.are.beautiful. with no make up, hair in a pony. you are beautiful with out trying. count your blessing. there are some people that need a little extra to make them beautiful. don’t ever let someone tell you that you aren’t. and don’t ever shuffle in front of a mirror wondering if you are beautiful enough because you are.
- it’s ok to be smart and beautiful. it’s also ok to be humble. it’s ok to be kind. i can’t say it enough, humility is so important. know your worth and help other find theirs.
- the “cool” kids. they have a host of their own problems. so really, they aren’t as cool as they think they are. just find your people and be true to them. let the cool kids have each other and the drama that surrounds them.
- stay true to yourself. don’t forget who you are on the inside. a lot of things about you will change in high school, but that warm,kind,loving soul that you have. that will never change. don’t let the small troublesome things overwhelm you. give them a good cry and send them on their way. ps.it’s ok to cry about a boy, a friend, a grade. life is a learning lesson and sometimes things just, well, suck. and sometimes in high school, when your friend suddenly isn’t your friend anymore or you didn’t make the varsity team, it seems like never ending suckage, but it will end. and as much as i hate the saying, there is light at the end of the tunnel.and believe me if you think high school is awesome. college is ten fold better. no really. it is.
- …..ps. (see no 1) it doesn’t matter what everyone else is doing when it comes to.. yes, i’m going to say it out loud.. SEX. remember its only about you. what you want to do, how far you want to take it, and every one else can.. well for lack of a better term STFU. and i mean every.letter.of.that.acronym. because when you do things, you can’t take them back. so make sure you’ve thought about them, the reprocussions and all that…. i’ll stop now. well actually, let’s just contiue this on to drinking and all that stuff too, hormones/boys/drinking all together is a serious recipes for trouble. see no 4.
- have.fun. no really, high school is so much fun. it’s about growth and trying new things, and meeting new people, and well, fun. (eyeliner optional) so get out there. try it. do it. who cares what other people think, drag those awesome friends from middle school with you to the dance, football game, school play. try it all and have fun doing it.